Out of the box, Windows 10 & 11 have native network drive mapping capabilities. However, it’s not always convenient to map every single drive over VPN so here is a quick guide on how to quickly map your entire network drives.
The “connected to vpn but cannot access network drives windows 10” is a problem that has been present for a while. The solution to the issue is to map network drives over VPN on Windows 10 & 11.
- Ascertain that you’re using a VPN server.
- On your PC, enable Network Discovery.
- (Win key + E) Open the Windows 10 File Explorer.
- Select the Computer tab and then Map Network Drive from the This PC menu.
- Set Drive to the drive letter you want to use to access the shared folder.
- Select a shared disk or folder by pressing Browse next to Folder.
- To guarantee that the location auto-reconnects at every Windows startup, enable Reconnect upon sign-in.
- If you can’t access the shared location with your existing Windows login information, enable Connect using other credentials.
- Finish by clicking the Finish button.
Although you may be tempted to withdraw from the VPN after mapping the network drive, it’s a good idea to keep it on when connected to the Internet at all times.
This guarantees that you are always safe from hackers and other potential threats.
Why would you want to utilize Access to the Internet in a Secure Environment?
Access to the Internet in a Secure Environment (PIA), developed by Kape Technologies, is one of the fastest and most secure VPNs for Windows 10. It’s also the best VPN for Plex since it allows you to mount network resources and distribute files securely on the Plex Media Server.
PIA can link you to the closest server instantly to provide the greatest speed, in addition to an extensive network of VPN servers. OpenVPN and WireGuard are supported, as well as SOCKS5 and Shadowsocks proxy servers, port forwarding, and static and dynamic IP addresses.
You may also use PIA to lower your ping during games. Split-tunneling mode, a kill switch, and exclusive DNS servers are included. To share VPN access with all connected devices, you may install PIA’s OpenVPN manual setup mode on your router.
More information on PIA:
- In 48 countries, there are over 3,300 VPN servers.
- ten connections at the same time
- There are no identifying logs, and there are no leaks.
- Live chat assistance is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a
- Money-back guarantee for 30 days (no free trial)
Access to the Internet in a Secure Environment
To eliminate risks and secure your PC from hackers, connect to PIA’ before mapping network drives.
On Windows 11, how can I map network drives over VPN?
Despite the fact that the new OS is significantly more powerful and has a slew of new capabilities, its core remains fairly similar to that of Windows 10.
As a result, all of the methods given here, including the use of the PIA VPN, will operate flawlessly on Windows 11.
The possibility to map a network drive In Windows 11, it’s a bit less accessible.
In Windows 11, File Explorer has a slightly different look, so you’ll locate the Map network drive option by clicking on the three-dot button from the top, as seen in our image above.
More information about this subject may be found here.
But that’s where the similarities stop, since the rest of the stages in our solutions are identical.
Finally, connecting to a VPN server before mapping network drives in Windows 10 and 11 is a great idea and a smart choice.
You can lessen the chances of being hacked and having your sensitive data compromised this way.
We hope that by following our instructions, you were able to map a network disk while using a VPN, and that your shared location is now safe and secure.
You might also be interested in our list including the best file-sharing tools & software for Windows 10/11 because it’s another way of sending your files safely.
Please use the comments area below to ask any questions or make recommendations, and we will respond as quickly as possible.
The “how to access files through vpn windows 10” is a tutorial that will teach you how to map network drives over VPN on Windows 10 and 11.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you map network drives over VPN?
A: Yes, you can map network drives over a VPN connection.
How do I connect to a local network on a VPN?
A: On a mobile device:
On desktop/laptop computers:
How do I map a network drive over the Internet?
A: You would need to use a virtual private network or VPN. A VPN is software that encrypts and routes your internet traffic through an intermediary server in order to provide privacy, security, and identity protection over the Internet.
- smb over vpn windows 10
- map network drive over vpn
- access local network while on vpn windows 10
- synology map network drive over vpn
- openvpn map network drive